Thursday 4 November 2021

Boluwatifé | The 'Oracle' Of Washington Square's Fountain



The word oracle comes from the Latin verb ōrāre, "to speak" and refers to the priest or priestess uttering divine and prophetic predictions. Oracles were thought to be portals through which the gods spoke directly to people.

Encountering Boluwatifé being photographed in Washington Square Park was fortuitous as I was able to make a few frames of her. She was very  agreeable to spend a few moments posing for my camera. 

Her poses and stances at the fountain conjured to my mind an oracle addressing a congregation with divinations and predictions. I used filters during post processing to darken the skies behind her, and added some vignetting as well.

Although I was unable to talk to her for more than few moments as she was being photographed by others, I exchanged Instagram information and followed up by sending her the above photographs. Other than Boluwatifé's bio features a Nigerian flag, she seems to be an artist, a model and also advertises/markets street wear.

"Trapped In The Flash" | The Red Strings

On a recent walk about at Washington Square Park, I chanced on performance art type of dance by two talented Chinese women; Jiening (Sophia)...