Friday 11 November 2022

POV | Approaching Strangers | Street Portraits


Since starting to approach total strangers in New York City for street portraits for a couple of years (coinciding with Covid international travel restrictions), I've been meaning to write up my thoughts about my experiences and tips.
I estimate my 'success' rate in photographing total strangers in NYC is 95%. 

First off, it's important to differentiate the act of approaching strangers for street portraiture in a foreign country and New York City. Depending on the country, it can be extremely easy (as in India, as one example) or very difficult (as in Morocco and others)...cultural norms vary from one to the other so as photographers, we have to be sensitive to them. In New York City, it's not difficult although one has to be aware of many factors.

My experience can be distilled as follows:

1. Two critical things to start off with are (a) my appearance/demeanor as a photographer, and (b) the location of the approach. I always make a conscious effort to look the part, to look neat and to impart my professionalism. I don't want to sound too cocky nor too humble...just being myself is the goal. I often carry two cameras; the XPro2 (or 3) rangefinder dangling from my neck, and the medium format GFX50R in my hand. The visible gear conveys that I'm a serious photographer. 

The choice of location is equally -if not more- critical. Most of my street portraiture is done in Washington Square Park, where people congregate in large numbers and are used to photographers of all stripes taking pictures. In fact, some of the people I met come to the park to be seen and often expect to be photographed as well. Call it what you will, but that makes the approach much easier. 

A public space like the park is important because it's safe....there are people milling about, and it's a safer environment than other less frequented areas.


2. The approach differs from person to person, and is dependent on how I "read" the body language of the person I seek to photograph. Body language is obviously key as to who and how to approach. Some people exude receptivity while others don't...and as I noted above, I estimate the acceptance rate to pose for my cameras at about 95%, which means I'm quite capable in discerning the receptivity. The initial approach itself must always be respectful of the space between me and the person...and I'm very upfront with what I seek, asking "may I photograph you for a few minutes?". I dispense with initial flatteries as some others like to say...saying "wow! you're so awesome!" or similar expressions to break the ice is not my style.

Many times, I also show the person my Instagram page as a business card...to prove who I am and what type of photographs/portraits I make. Showing it establishes a sort of legitimacy to the work I do.


3. Once I get the approval to photograph, I consider what happens next is a collaborative relationship between us. Most of them know their "good" side, while I know how and where to pose them...so I explain what I'd like from them. If I want them to move a few yards to the side, I explain why (the sun, a distracting background, etc).

I am very aware of the physical space that separates us...and when/if I need to come in closer, I ask first. This conveys to the person I know our boundaries. I never touch the person, even if a strand of hair is errant or if a hand needs to be in a different position. Some of the persons I photograph know how to pose very well...while others do not. With the latter, I sometimes show them poses saved on my cellphone.

When I'm photographing, I frequently make complimentary comments such as "oh, that looks really good! thank you!"...I know that, for most people, posing in public (or even in private) doesn't come easy and if they're nervous or tense, it'll show in the resulting photographs.


4. And here's another must do...I always show the persons the initial photographs on the camera's LCD within the first 2-3 minutes of the photo session. The GFXR camera has a very large screen, so they're invariably glad (and impressed) by how high the quality is. It has always been my experience that once they view the initial photographs, they relax. Notwithstanding, I continue showing them subsequent photographs so they continue enjoying posing. This establishes a mutual trust and is a win-win for both of us.


5. Whether I engage in a conversation post-session with the person I photograph largely depends if the mood is right for it. I avoid personal questions, but I've experienced showing an interest in their background, in their names or their heritage is appreciated. In such cases, I share my own background and heritage...and how to pronounce my name. In almost all cases, it's never "cut and run" unless I feel they need to go somewhere else.

However what ever the case is, I show/share my Instagram account (again), follow them on it which they always reciprocate and I promise I'll send them the photographs the following morning.

And here's one of the most important things to remember and do...deliver on the promise to send them over that morning with nice thank you message. They remember and they appreciate it...and it's respectful. 


6. And for the clincher...earning the respect and trust (professional and personal) of the persons I photograph in the way I comport myself during and after the initial session often leads to other opportunities, such as setting up more than one-on-one photo shoots in the streets of SoHo and elsewhere. 

Respect. Politeness. Keep your promise.

All I've said is basic common sense, and if applied appropriately, it ends up being enjoyable for all concerned. 

7. So how about the 5% who did not accept? If memory serves me correctly, there were only two instances. One was just disinterested and said so very nicely and directly. The other instance involved two friends...one who was quite keen but her friend was late for an appointment, so it didn't work out. In the latter case, I misread the scene as I should have noticed they were getting ready to leave.

What do I do when the answer is no? I just sincerely express my thanks and leave. That's all. 

AI Generated | The Women In Red

Prompts: Nostalgic photography, catalog pose full body front view, black haired Afro Asian woman wearing red shirt leaning back in chair ove...