Monday 7 November 2022

Cosplay or Goth?

I never asked "E" if what she wore was a Goth or Cosplay outfit as I was photographing her in Washington Square Park. I am more inclined to think it's the former, but she wore either very well.

To help me, I read on Wikipedia that Goth fashion is a clothing style marked by dark, mysterious, antiquated, homogenous, and often genderless features (though her outfit is definitely for a woman)...and the large white cross on her front and the small skulls on one of her gloves is much Goth-style than anything else. 

Meanwhile, Cosplay, a portmanteau of "costume play", is an activity and performance art in which participants wear costumes and fashion accessories to represent specific characters.






Larger photographs are here:


The Goth by Tewfic El-Sawy on on Exposure

KUNCHOK | In Fuchsia

I photographed Kunchok (कुनचोक) for a couple of hours on the streets of Soho. A New York University student, she posed for my cameras on a l...