Tuesday 24 May 2022

POV | A No-Brainer

 

The weather gods were smiling yesterday in New York City, and naturally Washington Square Park was crowded with people...visitors from out of state, foreign tourists, NYU students celebrating graduation, weed sellers and artists selling their wares.

With my back to the still bright afternoon sun, I photographed Ali and Nia by the fountain....both expressed their appreciation at being photographed and asked for the images to be sent over via Instagram which I planned to do. This was done later in the same evening.


I processed and edited about 12 or so frames to compensate for the sunny conditions (which can be seen above), and also duplicated them so as to use one of my favored ON1 LUT presets (which can be seen at the end of this post). I then forwarded all to both Ali and Nia.


They both loved the photographs, but also asked me if I would send them the unedited versions as well which they called "RAW". I explained that there was no reason at all to send them the RAWs -as each was over 120mp- and that I didn't understand their need for non-edited versions.

I pointed out that the non-LUT photographs sent were very lightly edited to tackle reflections, uneven shine etc so their difference with the SOOCs was minimal. No photographer should share their RAW images unless contractually asked for in a professional setting.

As is widely circulated amongst photography circles "would an author or writer share his drafts?". The answer is a resounding no. 

It's a no-brainer.

The LUT+ Preset versions:







"Trapped In The Flash" | The Red Strings

On a recent walk about at Washington Square Park, I chanced on performance art type of dance by two talented Chinese women; Jiening (Sophia)...