Wednesday 10 November 2021

The Gorgeousness of Washington Square Park



Washington Square Park never ceases to amaze me. In the space of two hours, the number of gorgeous and/or interesting physiognomies passing though it or resting on its benches is nothing short of extraordinary.

And to me, who recently and frequently drops in to photograph either scenes or impromptu portraits, it's an eye opening transition. Just a few months ago, some of the "regulars" were just subjects for my lenses...but after my being a "regular' myself, they've become -if not straight up acquaintances- people with names, backgrounds and occupations. I exchange greetings by way of fist bumps, a few encouraging words if they're selling their craft, the peace sign...or just raised eyebrows in acknowledgement.

I noticed Lila (top) regally walking in the Square, and photographed as she sat near the fountain. She makes and sells jewelry on Etsy as "Lavander Rain".

The middle photograph is "Pooka" whose smiles attracted a handful of other photographers (but I saw and photographed her first). She lit up the Park with her exuberance. She has a song track on Soundcloud.

Lastly, hanging around with a group of photographers I met Gass Wild, (stage name of Tom Edwards) an English Rock'n'Roller, singer songwriter, guitarist and drummer who plays in NYC band Love Pirates. A couple of people passing by our group asked me if he was Keith Richards of The Stones. He can be seen here performing "Lockdown".

AI Generated | The Women In Red

Prompts: Nostalgic photography, catalog pose full body front view, black haired Afro Asian woman wearing red shirt leaning back in chair ove...