Thursday 23 September 2021

Hooked On LUTs



After witnessing an exciting but brief melee in Washington Square Park between two individuals, I was on the verge to throwing the towel and return home with a paltry supply of frames. 

However, I spied a brilliant pink (or fuchsia) head of hair walking around the fountain and settling on one of the stone benches. She was wearing an all black outfit, and was presumably waiting for someone to join her. I asked if she wouldn't mind posing for me, and Nasri flashed her luminous smile and told me to go right ahead. We exchanged Instagram 'handles' so I could send them to her later.



Once again, I used ON1's LUTs to process some of the photographs. This times, I used one of my own concoction which I named "Nymph" for those that are rather greener, darker and turn Nasri's hair orange (instead of the original bright pink), then fiddled with the LUT preset called Retro (#6) for a different look.

I didn't have the time to bring back one of my medium format cameras, but the X-Pro2 and the 18mm f2 lens worked these portraits well.

And by the way, a LUT (Look Up Table) is a file used to mathematically convert and change the color values of pixels, as well as their saturation, contrast, luminance and hue. Generally used in cinematic footage, LUTs transform the color inputs, and are either included in many post-processing software or can be downloaded (free or for a fee).

KUNCHOK | In Fuchsia

I photographed Kunchok (कुनचोक) for a couple of hours on the streets of Soho. A New York University student, she posed for my cameras on a l...