Monday 23 August 2021

Revisiting The "Nymph" With A Cinematic Grading




With international travel still extremely impractical (at least to those countries that I'm photographically interested in), I've started revisiting my photographs made in some of these countries, and started to work on a street fashion photo session in Hanoi's old section. 

Using ON1 post processing software and a modified LUT present to achieve a cinematic effect, I worked on the photographs of Zhang Mansi, a Chinese student from Dali in Yunnan. I had met her and her friends in one of the streets bordering Hoan Kiem Lake, and asked if she would pose for my camera (a Fuji XT-1 at that time) in the old section of the Vietnamese capital. She was studying Vietnamese and political science, and has since returned to her home town. I was in Hanoi in connection with the launch of my photo book "Hầu Đồng: The Spirit Mediums of Viet Nam", and had taken to the streets for some respite from the local TV appearances and photo talks at various venues in the capital. 



From my cursory viewing of Twitter accounts, I gather Japanese photographers are especially fond of color grading their images in the blue-orange tone that emits a cinematic "feel". I also found from experimentation that this color grading looks best on blacks and dark photographs.





KUNCHOK | In Fuchsia

I photographed Kunchok (कुनचोक) for a couple of hours on the streets of Soho. A New York University student, she posed for my cameras on a l...