Friday 9 July 2021

Responses: Asian American Voices Exhibit | Museum of Chinese In America

 

The invitation/brochure and advertisement for the event. 

My photograph of Pell Street during the lockdown.

As a contributor of more than 30 photographs to the Museum of Chinese in America which are archived in its collection, I received an invitation to attend a preview reception to Responses: Asian American Voices Resisting the Tides of Racism, which will include some of these photographs. 

Although all the photos I made during these awful months of New York City's lockdown were made in color (both jpegs and RAW) using the Fuji X-Pro2 and the Fujinon 18mm, they were converted to and displayed as monochromes. I thought monochromatic images of the deserted streets and fleeting pedestrians would more accurately represent the depressing environment of the time. 

However, I still fiddled with a few of them in ON1 to achieve a cinematic color, and I liked this one the most:


And here are some of the photographs in the Museum's archive in video format: 




The advert with my photo of Pell Street titled Deserted appeared in the Wall Street Journal of July 12, 2021. 

The Museum also added this blurb on its website:







KUNCHOK | In Fuchsia

I photographed Kunchok (कुनचोक) for a couple of hours on the streets of Soho. A New York University student, she posed for my cameras on a l...