Saturday 30 May 2020


RESURRECTION by Tewfic El-Sawy on Exposure

The word translated as "resurrection" comes from the Greek a·naŹ¹sta·sis, which means "raising up" or "standing up again". I've been walking the streets of Manhattan's Chinatown on a weekly basis to photograph its evolution to what some now call "the new normal". 

This week, I witnessed a tangible revival of its commercial activities...and noted with appreciation how the vast majority of its residents were adhering to the precautionary directives issued by the City and the State. I saw signs of optimism amongst the retailers, and a return of normalcy on its narrow sidewalks exemplified by the "nainais" with their wheeled shopping bags filled with fresh produce, shrugging off my theatrical whelps when these occasionally hit my shins.

I also saw many efforts by the Chinese community to help its most vulnerable; whether by distributing free meals at the Chinese Community Center or at Mott 41.

Unlike my previous monochromatic photo essays documenting Manhattan's Chinatown during Covid-19, this photo essay is in color...slightly unnatural in tone...as a way to convey that it's not totally back to its feet yet, but is getting there.

My previous photo essays:

Part I of Chinatown In The Time of COVID-19 I is here.

Part II of Chinatown In The Time of COVID-19 is here.

Part III of Chinatown In The Time of COVID-19 is here.


REI | De Las Flores

REI by Tewfic El-Sawy on on Exposure