Wednesday 6 February 2008

Evelyn Hockstein: Ethiopia

Image © Evelyn Hockstein-All Rights Reserved

I'm in the "fermenting" phase for my upcoming 2009 photo expeditions (yes, it's starts that early with me), and one of the destinations I'm interested in is Ethiopia. I've been in 2004, and provided that its political situation remains stable, it'll be shortlisted.

In such a frame of mind, I thought that featuring Evelyn Hockstein's work on Ethiopia would be appropriate, and may fuel my enthusiasm for the possibility.

Evelyn Hockstein is a photojournalist based in Nairobi, from where she covers the continent as well as other international assignments. Her award winning photography work has been published in various international publications including The New York Times, TIME, Newsweek, Stern, L'Express, and U.S. News and World Report.

This is the second time that TTP features Evelyn's work. An earlier post featured her photographs of Yemen.

Here's her recent work on Ethiopia courtesy of Budget Travel's blog. I particularly like the photograph of the Ethiopian girl holding an injera cover on her head on the street in Lalibela. By the way, and at the risk of offending many Ethiopians...I found injera to be unpalatable. I was told it's an acquired taste, so I'll give it another try if Ethiopia is indeed a 2009 destination for me.

Evelyn Hockstein's Ethiopia

KUNCHOK | In Fuchsia

I photographed Kunchok (कुनचोक) for a couple of hours on the streets of Soho. A New York University student, she posed for my cameras on a l...