Monday 3 July 2023

AI-Generated Images Are Getting "Serious"


I've been indulging the right side of my brain by creating images using the various iterations of MidJourney, the popular AI generating "machine", and I'm amazed by a large percentage of the results.

I don't see AI as a replacement for my photography by any means...but as a supplemental and complemental activity. Generating "fantasy" images such as the one in this post provides inspiration should I want to photograph a model in a coffee-shop in Tribeca or the West Village...not only for the location, but also for the light, the pose, the dress and other intangible aspects. 

And Breaking News: MidJourney just introduced the panoramic option...which will be very useful for story telling:


I've already used one of my AI-generated images to communicate with a
Tokyo-based model whose English was very limited to describe what I wanted of her. Just one image and she immediately understood.

Another fun (useful) thing is to use AI-generated images for storytelling. I'm currently working on a story involving a PTSD-afflicted war photojournalist whose visit to Hong Kong resolves (or not) his issues. I've done another audio slideshow story using AI for Edith Piaf...the famous French singer. 

And for more of similar images which could be used to construct visual stories (eg. audio slideshow-movie) :






SoHo's Fashion Billboards

Some of my street fashion shoots begin at the corner of Houston and Crosby Streets, and on several occasions, I attempted to position the mo...