Wednesday 23 March 2022

My Name Is Lhamu

Through the "friend of a friend" tentacles of Instagram, I connected with Lhamu for a photo session in the neighborhood of SoHo. I was initially puzzled as to her heritage; but quickly narrowed it down to a Himalayan Kingdom...Nepal or Sikkim, and perhaps even Bhutan (a long shot though). 

Lhamu (the name means "goddess") confirmed she was originally from Nepal, and is a Hyolmo; a member of indigenous people mainly from its Eastern and Northern regions. Despite my familiarity with the region, I had never heard of this group nor of their distinctive language, and also learned that the Hyolmo word for "thank you" is "thujichey".










For larger sized photographs:






Lhamu by Tewfic El-Sawy on Exposure

POV | Netflix's Ripley | Monochrome Awakening

Inspector Pietro Ravini of the Rome Police (Netflix) I've been watching "Ripley", the recent Netflix which is a masterpiece of...