Saturday 11 April 2020

My Work | The Wasted Years


wasted years by Tewfic El-Sawy on Exposure                      SCROLL DOWN ON THE IMAGE

The Wasted Years is my latest gallery of Yi Yi's photographs which were made in Shanghai's Guilin Park (桂林公园). I chose a title that reflects our current situation in being locked up (or in isolation) at home during the COVID19 virus (although I certainly hope it won't extend to more than a couple of months and not years), and because I was recently influenced by a Chinese thriller movie named The Wasted Times, starring the gorgeous Zhang Ziyi.

Although the photographs from this photo shoot were not destined for The Wasted Years gallery, I chose a handful of these photographs to illustrate a fictitious Shanghai gangster moll, a long-suffering but loyal girlfriend of a ruthless triad boss, wasting her youth and beauty in Shanghai between 1934 and the end of the war in 1945. It helped that 
Yiyi had been very quick to "adapt" to the feel of this Shanghai era, and had all the accessories needed to play the part; the opium pipe, the fake fur stole, the yellow fan and the high heels.

To give the photographs a semblance of authenticity, I used a combination of filters in ON1 2020 to achieve the "old" look preset.

KUNCHOK | In Fuchsia

I photographed Kunchok (कुनचोक) for a couple of hours on the streets of Soho. A New York University student, she posed for my cameras on a l...