Wednesday 29 February 2012

POV: Passion & Enthusiasm

Photo © Tewfic El-Sawy-All Rights Reserved

"hello sir,
i'm a 18yr old from india
i've dropped my college for my passion of travelling ,writing n photography!
your work have quite inspired me continue it!
n just wanna thank you!
your blog is quite a source of inspiration for me!
thank you"
It's a leap year, and what better way to end this February's 29 days!

This wonderful email from a young Indian woman was waiting in my inbox...and while I frequently get complimentary emails on my photography and blog from readers, this one was so enthusiastic, and so full of hope for the future, that I had to feature it here.

Naturally, I urged her to remain in college, get a degree and pursue her passion at the same time. I hope she does.

I occasionally meet with young people seeking my advice as to how to forge a career in travel photography. It's always a difficult task to balance youthful aspirations and hard-core reality...but one of my principal pieces of advice is to stay in college (if they don't have a degree...and get one), and take up a profession that can pay the bills for a while.

KUNCHOK | In Fuchsia

I photographed Kunchok (कुनचोक) for a couple of hours on the streets of Soho. A New York University student, she posed for my cameras on a l...