Saturday 18 June 2011

Aaaargh! The Panasonic GF3 Is Pimped!

Photo Courtesy PetaPixel
I love my Panasonic GF1....I didn't like the Panasonic GF2, and I certainly don't like what the engineers at Panasonic came up with for the third iteration of the model. It seems the company is now leaving the "wannabe rangefinder" style and ergonomics that worked well with the GF1, and decided to get the GF3 as close as possible to the compact point and shoot segment as possible. Ridiculous.

That's how PetaPixel describes it: " In terms of differences (with the GF2), it has a faster processor that allows for faster autofocus times, weighs 15% less, is 17% smaller, and is also even more simple than the GF2 — it lacks a hot shoe and has a pop-up flash there instead."

Thanks, but no thanks. The Panasonic engineers and marketing people seemed to have aimed at a an interchangeable lens camera, but with simplistic and minimalistic controls. Why would consumers who like point and shoot cameras want interchangeable lenses...and pay upwards of $300 for each? It doesn't make sense.  Moreover, the GF3 has no hot shoe for an external flash or an external viewfinder. Another concession to the P+S consumers.

There are still stocks of the Panasonic GF1 around, and my guess is that they won't remain for long. The Fujifilm FinePix X100 looks great, but is expensive and has a fixed lens, and I am not sure if it's as as good as its reviews. Some of these reviews sound overly laudatory, and I sense it doesn't live to its hype. Time will tell.

In the meantime, I am glad I have the GF1...and the M9.

REI | De Las Flores

REI by Tewfic El-Sawy on on Exposure