Saturday 2 April 2022

Freeman Alley | NYC


As a result of a Tweet from a fellow photographer, I walked over to the Lower East Side, and found a veritable trove of graffiti and paste art on the walls of a narrow alley leading to a low-key hotel and a renown restaurant. The alley will provide awesome backdrops for my forthcoming photo sessions...especially for those wearing street fashion.

The dead-end alley is in NYC's Lower East Side and is about 300 feet long, starting from the north side Rivington Street between the Bowery and Chrystie Street. I read it might be named for Uzal Freeman, a surveyor who in 1810 lived in the area, or for the Second African Burial Ground, a cemetery for black New Yorkers.

I used my Fuji X-Pro3 fitted with a fujinon 16mm, and set the images' format to a 16:9 aspect ratio. However, when I am photographing a model, I'll be using the medium format GFX50S/GFX50R with a 45mm and a 63mm...as I prefer to photograph horizontal frames, the narrowness of the alley will be a challenge, and will force me to (i) photograph at an angle, and choose the spots (as in the center of the alley), (ii) photograph verticals, (iii) photograph horizontal half body length and portraits and perhaps use a X-Pro3 with a 12mm wide angle lens for some of the frames.










For my larger sized photographs, drop by Freeman Alley here.




REI | De Las Flores

REI by Tewfic El-Sawy on on Exposure