Friday 8 March 2013

In Focus | The Smithsonian 10th Annual Photo Contest

Photo © Teng Hin Khoo-All Rights Reserved
Despite my self-imposed one week hiatus from posting, I thought I'd have fun and play the role of a judge in the recently featured Smithsonian Magazine Photo Contest

The editors of Smithsonian magazine announced the 50 finalists in their 10th annual photo contest, and The Atlantic's In Focus published photographs from each of the competition's five categories: The American Experience, The Natural World, People, Travel, and Altered Images.

After quite a lengthy deliberation (with myself) I chose three photographs that ought to win top place in the competition. These are (top image) by Teng Hin Khoo, of Shah Alam, Malaysia, and is of a river ferry in Xiao Donjiang, China. I have no way of knowing if the ferry boatsmen were set up or not but in either case, it's a fabulous photograph.

Photo © Alamsyah Rauf-All Right Reserved




The middle photo is of salt gatherers in Indonesia, and is by Alamsyah Rauf from Sulawesi-Selatan, Indonesia. I loved the low and wide angle chosen by the photographer, who was blessed with wonderful light and interesting cloud formations.

Photo © Daniel Nahabedian-All Rights Reserved



The lower photograph is by talented photographer (and Foundry Photojournalism Workshop -Chiang Mai- alum Daniel Nahabedian), and is of Buddhist monks releasing glowing lanterns into the night sky during the Loy Krathong Festival in Thailand. The ceremony symbolises the monks' release of negative thoughts through the flying lanterns and focus on the future. I loved the wide angle viewpoint, the beautiful colors and the reflection of the lanterns in the water.

In my view, these three deserve to win the contest. Now, it's only a matter of time...and we'll see if I am correct.

KUNCHOK | In Fuchsia

I photographed Kunchok (कुनचोक) for a couple of hours on the streets of Soho. A New York University student, she posed for my cameras on a l...