Saturday 28 November 2009

Haj & Eid El-Adha

Photo © AP Photo/Hassan Ammar-All Rights Reserved

I wish Eid Mubarak to my Muslim readers, and I refer them to The Boston Globe's The Big Picture for great photographs of the event.

Friday, November 27th, was the start of Eid al-Adha, the Muslim "Festival of Sacrifice", which is based on the tradition that Ibrahim was willing to sacrifice his son Ismail to God.

As I posted in a POV a couple of days ago, Muslims celebrate it by slaughtering animals to commemorate God's gift of a ram to substitute for Ibrahim's son, distributing the meat amongst family, friends and the poor.

Speaking of Islam. I frequently read Asim Rafiqui's blog, The Spinning Head, and one of his latest posts will certainly resonate with all fair-minded persons.

KUNCHOK | In Fuchsia

I photographed Kunchok (कुनचोक) for a couple of hours on the streets of Soho. A New York University student, she posed for my cameras on a l...