Wednesday 14 October 2009

Zackary Canepari: Kathputli


As my many posts on TTP show, one of my favorite photographers is Zackary Canepari who has recently shown off his talent with Kathputli Is My Home on 100Eyes, an excellent photo e-magazine published and edited by Andy Levin.

Kathputli Colony slum in North Delhi is an illegal settlement or shantytown, which is both home and a mecca for the thousands of itinerant and non-itinerant magicians, acrobats, jugglers, musicians, dancers and puppeteers who perform in the vast Indian sub-continent. Whether performing in the marble lobbies of top hotels or in the back streets of impoverished slums and villages, the nearly all of the 1,500-3,000 families in the colony are professional performing artists, and consider Kathputli thier home.

Canepari's talents are obvious in the feature. His super-saturated medium squarish format photographs frame his subjects perfectly, and bring out the captured moment of the expression.

I've visited Kathputli a few years ago (and posted about it here), and intend to re-visit it this coming January. Kathputli Is My Home will serve as my inspiration.

My thanks to Graham Ware for reminding me of this feature.

REI | De Las Flores

REI by Tewfic El-Sawy on on Exposure