Sunday, 4 February 2007

The Jews of Cuba

The Travel section of this week's New York Times carries a short slideshow on the Jewish community in Havana. It's a far cry from the bustling community of pre-Castro's era, but the small number of the remaining Cuban Jews keep their traditions and culture alive. The photographs are by Sven Creutzmann, a Polaris photographer.

I visited Havana for an accredited street photography workshop in 2000, and recall the Jewish synagogue in Havana Vieja, which was unfortunately closed at the time of day I visited. Havana and its wonderful people offer such a wealth of photographic opportunities, and I am impatient to be able to revisit (legally) the island. It's an absolute outrage that US citizens are restricted from legally visiting Cuba, and seeing the number of potential British tourists swarming all over the stall of the Cuban Tourism Board at yesterday's Travel Show was really galling.

Here's New York Times':
The Jews of Cuba

THE FEAST OF SAN GENNARO 2026

  The Feast of San Gennaro, also known as San Gennaro Festival, is a Neapolitan and Italian-American patronal festival dedicated to Saint Ja...