Wednesday 10 December 2008

WSJ: Phil Borges


"When Phil Borges learned of the perks that came with being a dentist, he switched his major from engineering to orthodontics. But his first love -- photography -- would eventually become his second career."

And so begins the recent Wall Street Journal's article on a peerless photographer; Phil Borges. For over twenty five years Phil has lived with and documented indigenous and tribal cultures around the world, and with his work he aims to create a deeper understanding of issues faced by people in the developing world.

The article tells us that Phil, now 66, says it would have been easy to stay in orthodontics. "I would have had a comfortable life," he says. "[But] I wanted to be fulfilled, and whenever I picked up my camera, I was doing what I wanted."


And he did.

[Previous posts on Phil Borges on TPP can be found HERE and HERE]

REI | De Las Flores

REI by Tewfic El-Sawy on on Exposure