Wednesday 13 May 2009

Stuart Freedman: Kathakali

©Stuart Freedman-All Rights Reserved

Stuart Freedman is an English photographer, whose work was published in, amongst others, Life, Geo, Time, Der Spiegel, Newsweek and Paris Match covering stories from Albania to Afghanistan and from former Yugoslavia to Haiti. He was recognized in many awards such as Amnesty International (twice), Pictures of the Year, The World Sports Photo Award, The Royal Photographic Society and UNICEF, and was selected for the 1998 World Press Masterclass and for the Agfa Young Photojournalist of the Year.

Having returned from Kerala myself, I thought I'd feature his Kathakali work photographed at the Kerala Kalamandalam (the state academy of classical arts). The Kalamandalam was founded in the 1930’s to preserve the ancient forms of Keralan arts and dance of which Kathakali, a mute mixture of ballet and drama is the most well known.

I've already posted some of Stuart's work on Delhi's Shahidur Depot here.

KUNCHOK | In Fuchsia

I photographed Kunchok (कुनचोक) for a couple of hours on the streets of Soho. A New York University student, she posed for my cameras on a l...