Sunday 2 January 2011

January? Must Be TTP's 4th Year!!!

Photo © Tewfic El-Sawy-All Rights Reserved

As I'll be traveling on January 24 when it's officially The Travel Photographer blog's fourth birthday, I thought why not observe it today...?

I started this blog on January 24, 2007 with a post on the Ardh Kumbh Mela, which was being held in Allahabad in that year.  Since then, I've posted over 2116 posts, posted about no less than 900 photographers and ranted, pontificated, expressed considered and unconsidered opinions on issues, important and trivial....gleefully aroused the ire of a dogmatic few and provoked the generous compliments of many.

I learned of new and interesting things about photography, world history, geopolitics, culture, religious and non religious traditions...I was influenced by the work of those I featured here...I was taught a few life lessons that I would never would have known otherwise....my name became synonymous in some circles with The Travel Photographer; what a case study in real-life marketing and branding this is!...and, because of the reach and popularity of this blog, my photo~expeditions got such that I had to reduce the number of allowable participants.

I made friends in the photography industry...many new acquaintances and a number of good friends across the globe...through my photo~expeditions, during my involvement in the Foundry Photojournalism Workshops, and elsewhere... I am glad to have more than 1000 "followers" on this blog, thousands of newsletter subscribers, and a thousand or so more on the social networking sites such as Facebook plus Twitter. My two self-published books have sold more copies than I expected...so life's good.

What else is there to say? I could go on and on...but I 'll summarize it by saying I look forward to the continuation of this blog's delightful journey into 2011...and I'll continue to encourage emerging photographers and photojournalists, especially those from the non-Western world...and hope to see more of them on The Travel Photographer's blog!

REI | De Las Flores

REI by Tewfic El-Sawy on on Exposure