Saturday 4 July 2009

WSJ: Tetouan Festival

Photo © Rafael Marchante/Reuters -All Rights Reserved

From the consistently excellent WSJ Photo Journal, I found this photograph by Rafael Marchante of a dancer who, according to the caption, is shooting his rifle during the festival of Moulay Abdessalam near Tetouan, Morocco, a few days ago. Thousands of pilgrims from all over Morocco take a pilgrimage each year to a saint’s tomb from Tetouan.

Having just returned from Morocco, and with this kind of religious festivals being high-powered catnip for me, I researched it on the web and found absolutely nothing. Googled it, Bing'ed it and Yahoo'ed it...and nothing about the festival emerged, except for references to Moulay Abdessalam Ben Mashish al-Idrissi al-Hassani, a Sufi saint who died in 1207.

All I found on Rafaele Marchante is that he's a Spanish photographer who lives and specializes in Morocco.

If any of my readers know of further details on this festival, please let me know! Rafaele Marchante's details are also sparse.

"Trapped In The Flash" | The Red Strings

On a recent walk about at Washington Square Park, I chanced on performance art type of dance by two talented Chinese women; Jiening (Sophia)...