Thursday 2 July 2009

Nancy Chuang: Environs

Photo © Nancy Chuang -All Rights Reserved

I hadn't realized that one of my Flickr contacts was Nancy Chuang, an accomplished photographer and writer who exhibited her photographic talents in an exhibition Environs at the Littman Gallery in Portland, Oregon last year.

Nancy writes: "My travels focus on meeting the locals, who provide a far greater insight into the culture than old stones or landscapes—beautiful as those may be. A history book could not truly prepare me for the young Ethiopian woman who suddenly broke our impromptu Amharic lesson to feed me by hand and cry out, "My love!"

I encourage you to not only view her photographic work, but also her writings which come in the form of travelogues or journals. I particularly liked her entertaining and interesting experiences in Ethiopia, which she details at great length.

KUNCHOK | In Fuchsia

I photographed Kunchok (कुनचोक) for a couple of hours on the streets of Soho. A New York University student, she posed for my cameras on a l...