Monday 8 June 2009

Photocrati: Cairo Report, The Real Thing?

Photo © Tewfic El-Sawy -All Rights Reserved

Over on Photocrati, I've just uploaded a couple of photographs, along with an article, describing an authentic zeqr ceremony in a small village on the western banks of the Nile.

Here's an excerpt:

Following the sound of the rhythmic Sufi song booming out of loudspeakers, we turn into a narrow alley, crowded with people; some are standing but many more are sitting on simple straw mats, lighting the small pieces of charcoal that burns the tobacco on their water-pipes. The barely illuminated alley seems to be inhabited by ghosts, particularly as I now can see a row of elderly men slowly swaying to the rhythm of the song, as if they’re sheets hung up to dry in the wind. Curious eyes follow me as I make my way to the front; some noticing my camera and wondering what to make of me.

For the rest of the article and the photographs, go to Photocrati.

Here's my multimedia feature on Al Ziqr.

REI | De Las Flores

REI by Tewfic El-Sawy on on Exposure