Thursday 28 February 2008

Back From Oaxaca!

Image © Tewfic El-Sawy -All Rights Reserved

I've enjoyed the wonderful city of Oaxaca during the past week, and although I haven't devoted much time to personal photo projects, I did manage to fill a couple of flash cards during that time.

Not only is Oaxaca a wonderful city with excellent weather and food, but its people are charming, courteous and generous, with a fascinating culture and history. I will expand on all of this when I have time to review my photographs and my notes.

In the meantime, here's a photograph I took of Guelaguetza dancers. This is a Zapotec term for a collection of dances from the state of Oaxaca, and signifies "offering". Guelaguetza was the term used to describe the Oaxacan ceremony and celebration held each year to propitiate the gods in return for sufficient rain and a bountiful harvest.

"Trapped In The Flash" | The Red Strings

On a recent walk about at Washington Square Park, I chanced on performance art type of dance by two talented Chinese women; Jiening (Sophia)...